Over the last 15 years, I’ve trained countless journalists, PRs and marketers in the core skills of online content creation and strategy. I’ve worked with everybody from senior leadership teams of national newspapers, to students preparing for the beginnings of their career in journalism.
I offer a range of courses to help you do better journalism or publishing – and can create bespoke courses to suit your organisation’s needs.
Here’s a sample of what I offer:
Core Digital Journalism Skills
The strategies, skills and formats of digital publishing are changing all the time, and you have to learn to adapt. These baseline courses are designed to give you the core skills you need to work in the online environment, to customise what you do to your target audience, and to learn to adapt as changes happen.
These are the essential skills that all online content producers should have:
Digital, Audience and Content Strategy Courses
These courses are targetted at people at a slightly higher level in their organisation, and explore the latest thinking in two critical fields:
- content strategy — what you publish, where you publish it and how you choose the best platforms for your audience
- audience engagement strategy — which deals with finding and building deeper relationships with the audience you need to business your business.
Specific Digital Journalism Creation Skills
The newest addition to my range of training are a couple of new courses designed to give you the technical and creative skills to make the most of two major new formats in digital:
- Social video — short videos designed explicitly to be watched in people's social media feeds, and which have very different characteristics from traditional video
- Newsletters — now going through a renaissance as both a product offering and as a critical part of our audience engagement infrastructure.
Bespoke and In-House Training
I’ve provided bespoke in-house training for organisations as diverse as:
- The Telegraph
- The Times
- The Financial Times
- The Straits Times
- Nursing Standard
- Amnesty International
- The Institute of Physics Publishing
If you want to discuss your particular in-house training needs, please feel free to drop me a line, and we can discuss further. I’m always happy to build bespoke courses for any other publishing need.