Table of Contents
A course delivering training on safe, effective use of AI in newsrooms of all scales, to boost productivity, while avoiding the pitfalls of this emergent technology.
The course will be delivered over four weeks via Zoom. Each session will be recorded and made available to the attendees as a video afterwards. Online course notes will be available at the end of the course.
Week 1: Understanding AI
- What is generative AI?
- What are large language models and how do they work?
- What are prompts, and how do you write better ones?
- The technical limits of AI
- The ethics of AI
Weeks 2 & 3: Assistive AI for journalism
- Using AI to summarise and explore topics
- Exploring high attention topics using AI
- Writing headlines with AI help
- How much copy can AI generate?
- The art of hallucination hunting
- Using AI for social media
- AI for transcription and image description
Week 4: Image AI
- Crafting great images with AI
- How to create images to illustrate articles
- How to create images for social media posts
- The ethics of generative AI images
Price & requirements
- The course costs £200/attendee, as an introductory discount. This will rise to £275 for subsequent runs of the course.
- Priority booking will be available for paying OM&HB members
- Access to Zoom is essential
- Attendees will find paid access to ChatGPT and Midjourney useful
About the trainer
Adam Tinworth is one of the most experienced digital journalism trainers in the world. He's been training journalists in key digital skills for nearly two decades, and has worked with everyone from national newspapers, and international trade bodies, down to small, independent publications. He's also a lecturer at the UK's leading university for journalism skills, City, University of London.