This is a Bad Time to be a Journalist If...
- You don’t like change – because change is all the industry has to offer you
- You don’t have passion for your subject – because people with passion are already talking about your beat on the web, and* they’re more interesting*
- You want to do the job you signed up for five years ago – because that job is history
- You don’t like the readers talking back – because they have innumerable methods to respond to your work, whether or not you have comments on articles
- **You don’t like linking **– because links are the new economy of content
- **You want to decide what is important **– because that power is firmly back in the hands of the public
- You hate technology – because it is the future (and anyway, the printing press and typewriter were technology back in the day)
- **You have a narrow view of what skills you need **– because the skills you needs are evolving all the time
- **If you don’t like competition **– because your competition is increasing every day
- If you can’t listen more than you talk – because if you can’t do that, you’ve never been a journalist at all…
Sign up for e-mail updates
Join the newsletter to receive the latest posts in your inbox.