- Twitter and Facebook get all the attention, but it turns out that Instagram has a nasty harassment problem as well. I'm beginning to wonder if Insta might not prove, in the long term, to have been the most toxic of the mainstream social platforms.
- The Guardian carried a fascinating essay about the role of photography in the Instagram age. It did leave me wondering, though, if Insta is really about photography at all. It may have reached the point where it is far more about visual communication of a perceived lifestyle than it is any attempt to express oneself artistically. And the increasing importance of Instagram Stories will only exacerbate that.
- What do we know about the risks of screen time? Turns out that the problem is in the question. We use screen for such a diverse range of tasks that we need to take a more nuanced view of what people are doing with the screens. Blindingly obvious — once you have it articulated to you.
- An interesting polemic that builds a case that we're seeing the beginning of the end of social media as we know it. Much to argue with, but much to make you think, too…
- This is a depressing look at how an aspiring TV news journalists ended up flaming out of journalism. I suspect this kind of story is far from unique, and not confined to broadcast.
Sign up for e-mail updates
Join the newsletter to receive the latest posts in your inbox.